Crafting a beautiful smile using cosmetic dentistry techniques like Invisalign, teeth whitening, or veneers doesn’t just make you look great – it can have an effect on your health and stress level.
That might sound a little overblown, but scientists have done studies about smiling – and it’s true! Giving a you the confidence to flash a wide grin can lower your heart rate and stress levels!
Smiling is its Own Reward
We have noticed that people who are embarrassed about their smile have a tendency to give a half smile or a closed mouth smile – or no smile at all – when greeting people or in photographs. Several studies were done on stress and happiness levels while wearing a neutral expression, half smile, or a wide grin. This is what was found:
- Of the three expressions (neutral, half smile, grin) the broad, confident grin had the best effects.
- Smiling while doing difficult tasks lowers your stress level and heart rate, making the tasks easier to complete.
- Smiling even when you feel unhappy can raise your happiness level. So, the advice to “grin and bear it” is actually a sage recommendation.
- A wide, confident grin makes you seem more friendly, trustworthy, and likable, so delivering a presentation with a smile can actually help you gain your audience’s trust – and maybe land that promotion.
- Smiling also cheers up those around you.
All of these factors make it clear that being embarrassed about your smile may be holding you back in certain situations – where the person who has a broad, open smile could be landing the job or getting a free coffee from the barista first thing in the morning instead of you!
There are Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures for All Budgets
If you have dental insurance, you might be surprised to discover that some cosmetic dentistry is covered in your plan. Many cosmetic procedures not only make your smile look fantastic but help to protect your teeth – making them fall under necessary dental procedures. For example, Invisalign, veneers, dental implants and more are often covered or partially covered by dental insurance.
Many cosmetic procedures can help you smile with confidence. These include:
- Teeth whitening
- Composite bonding
- Porcelain veneers
- Dental implants
Here at Andersen Dental Center, we offer cosmetic consultation to help you decide which procedure is right for your teeth – and for your budget. If you are considering getting cosmetic dentistry, be sure to contact us today. We can help you flash those pearly whites with confidence!